Channel O and Forbes Africa presented the top 10 most bankable/richest artistes in Africa earlier this week. The list that was put together using factors such as endorsement value, popularity, show rates, sales, awards, YouTube views, appearance in newspapers, investment, social media presence, influence and so many other factors is dominated by Nigerians and there is no East African on the list. Here they are.
1. Akon. The Senegalese born American is the CEO of Konvict Music, that has opened doors for other African artistes like P Square.
2. Don Jazzy. The Nigerian producer is the CEO Mavin Records. His endorsments include MTN, Samsung and Loyal Milk. Artistes like D’Banj, Kanye West, Beyonce and Jay-Z have his name on their production credits.
3. P-Square. The Nigerian music duo is guaranteed sold out concerts and they have been presidential guests in at least five African countries. They fly in private jets.
4. D’Bang. The Nigerian artiste is signed to Kanye West’s G.O.O.D and he has a Sony Entertainment distribution deal. He has his own mobile phone brand, mineral water and upscale nightclub Koko Lounge in Nigeria.
5. Wizkid. The Nigerian artiste is signed to fellow Nigerian Banky W’s EME artiste, a CEO of his own Starboy lable and he is highest paid Pepsi ambassador in Africa. He also endorses MTN.
6. 2Face Idibia. The Nigerian commands 10 million copies in CD sales with at least seven million digital sales. He is associated with Guinness, Haven Homes, Airtel Worldwide and he is philantropist with 2face foundation.
7. Anselmo Ralph. The Angolan breaks the Nigerian domination. He has endorsement deals with Samsung and Coca Cola. He has his own perfume line and clothing label and he is signed to Sony.
8. Sarkodie. The Ghanaian is a Samsung ambassador and he also endorses a leading milk brand in Ghana.
9. Ice Prince. The Nigerian cashed in on six million music downloads, he owns two music studios and he is an ambassador for One Foundation and Plug N Play.
10. Banky W. Also from Nigeria, he is a co-owner of the EME music label that has Wizkid on its roster and he is a Samsung ambassador.
Perhaps our artistes need to move to Nigeria.