Connect
To Top

Journalist sent to Luzira over Bobi film

 

Remanded. Journalist Moses Bwayo (centre) in the dock with other People Power supporters at the Magistrate’s Court in Makindye in Kampala yesterday. They were charged with unlawful assembly and remanded to Luzira prisons. PHOTO BY ABUBAKER LUBOWA

A journalist, who was arrested last week while shooting a music documentary of presidential hopeful Robert Kyagulanyi, aka Bobi Wine, was last evening formally charged before Makindye Chief Magistrates’ Court and remanded to Luzira prison.
Moses Bwayo, 30, was charged with unlawful assembly. He was charged alongside eight others.
Mr Bwayo, who was under a contract with a UK-based production company, Southern Films, was arrested last week on Monday in Nsambya, a Kampala suburb.
Despite applying to be released on bail through his lawyer Caleb Alaka, presiding Grade One Magistrate Jude Okumu declined to release him on grounds that the State had not responded to the same bail application.

The magistrate remanded him to Luzira prison until tomorrow when he will also consider hearing the bail application for the remaining eight accused persons.
“The case is two way, let me wait for the State to respond before I make my ruling on March 6. In the meantime, all the accused persons are remanded to Luzira prison,” Magistrate Okumu ruled.

State prosecution led by Ms Jacqueline Akao had told the court that she could immediately respond to Bwayo’s bail application on grounds that there was no police file.
The other accused persons include Shafik Ssegendo, 27, Josca Kagabane, 30, Nakamya Mayumunah, 30, Shaphra Rukundo, 27, Lillian Najja Namlongo, 32, Juliet Nakayiza, 29, Rose Namuli, 27, and Emmanuel Gashumba, 26.
Apart from the journalist who had through his lawyer managed to apply for bail, the remaining eight failed after the presiding magistrate said he was unable to entertain the many applications because it was late, the reason he remanded them until today at 9am.

The spokesperson of the People Power Movement, Mr Joel Senyonyi, after the court session, castigated the ruling regime for being afraid of youth shooting a musical video.
“The events that are happening lately show that the government is so scared that even music shooting by youth scare them. That shows you that where we have caught is the right place and we should instead tighten it,” Mr Senyonyi said.

Charge sheet
According to the charge sheet, the accused on February 24, while conducting video shooting, unlawfully assembled at Nsambya House and covered Nsambya police/ UPDF barracks.
The prosecution adds that the journalist and his colleagues did this while singing a song subverting or promoting subversion of the sitting government. The accused deny the charges.

awesaka@ug.nationmedia.com

Leave a comment

More in News