Music promoters and event organizers are planning to meet President Museveni in a bid to understand whether singer-turned-politician Bobi Wine has officially been barred from holding any music concerts in Uganda.
The pronouncement was made by promoter Abbey Musinguzi of Abitex Limited, who was responding after another promoter Moses Lubuulwa was having second thoughts on whether Bobi Wine should be allowed to bring politics to Kabaka’s Mengo Palace on December 31 or not.
Musinguzi said the promoters would seek a meeting with President Museveni to understand the fate of Bobi Wine.
“We have lost enough and we know that the issue of Bobi Wine is on the President’s table. From January 3 next year, we will seek appointment with the President to seek a final directive from him as the highest office bearer,” Mr Musinguzi said.
“We want it from him to say that Bobi is a barred musician so that promoters stop making losses (from flopped shows),” he said. The promoters have since petitioned Speaker Rebecca Kadaga and voiced similar concerns.
Bobi Wine had his annual show: “Busabaala Yee Sseebo” cancelled by security on Wednesday who blamed the artiste for organising the concert without prior permission.
Meanwhile sources from Mengo told Sqoop the organisers were given two choices, to either politicise the concert and forget the end of year fete or adhere to security guidelines and the concert proceeds without any hitches.
Yesterday, the deputy Resident City Commissioner, Mr Daniel Kabunga Ssentamu said politics will not be allowed in the fete and reminded artistes that Nkuuka is not a political podium.
Mr Ssentamu also denied reports that Bobi Wine had been stopped to perform.
However, Mr Lubuulwa warned that if police insist on dropping Bobi Wine from the list and with genuine reasons, as organisers, they would obey. At the Nkuuka festival, the Kabaka, who is always the chief guest, normally uses the event to usher in the new year.