The RT-AC88U is Asus’ latest true dual-band router, not to mention the best router the company has had to offer so far. It’s the first home router with eight Gigabit LAN ports with additional support for Dual-WAN. One of the LAN ports can be converted into a WAN port and port aggregation, where two of the LAN ports can be combined into a single superfast connection. On top of that, it has a robust and fun-to-use Web interface, a slew of excellent network-monitoring features, a built-in VPN server, and the ability to protect your home network from malware and intruders. What’s more, the router supports MU-MIMO, and includes unique features for gamers. In all, I have never seen a router with more to offer than the RT-AC88U. The gadget is also quite expensive, priced at Shs980,000.
• The Asus RT-AC88U router has eight superfast Gigabit LAN ports.
• Speedy Wi-Fi performance and lots of useful features.
• Its Web interface is smartly designed and easy to use.
• The router’s 3.0 USB port is awkwardly placed.
• When coupled with an external hard drive, its NAS performance is just average.